Experiencing the death of someone you love is never easy, but the Parkland Palliative Care Team wants you to know that we are here for you. We wish to tell you about the resources available to you as you go through this difficult time:

  • Telephone support and bereavement calls
  • Counseling sessions with a Palliative Care Psychologist
  • “Journey Through Grief” mail out series
  • Spiritual/pastoral support from Palliative Care chaplain
  • Invitation to our “Celebration of Life” memorial event
  • Referral to community resources and grief support groups for families, adults, and children

If you are in need of bereavement resources, please call 214-590-0043

Frequently Asked Questions

What is bereavement?

Bereavement refers to the period of grief and mourning experienced after the death of a loved one.

I don’t need any resources right now, but I may later. Who do I call if something comes up?

You may call the Palliative Care clinic at 214-590-5806.

I don’t understand how my loved one died. I want to see his/her records. Can you send me a copy of his chart?

You may request a copy of your loved one’s medical records from the Health Information Management (HIM) office. The phone number is 214-590-6540. It is located on the first floor of the New Parkland Hospital near the cafeteria.

Am I able to access my loved ones MyChart now that he/she has passed away?

Unfortunately, MyChart is deactivated after a patient dies. If you would like a copy of his/her medical records, you can request them from the Health Information Management (HIM) office. The phone number is 214-590-6540. It is located on the first floor of New Parkland Hospital near the cafeteria.

My loved one was on hospice and we still have all of the equipment. What do I do with it?

You can contact the hospice agency to have it picked up.

What do I do with all of these oxygen tanks my loved one was using?

There should be a sticker on the tank indicating what DME company provided them and their contact information. Call the number listed there to have them picked up.

Before my loved one died, we bought a lot of equipment that we don’t need. Can we donate this to the hospital?

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept donations of medical equipment at Parkland. However, there is a local agency that will recycle it for other patients who may need it. For heavy equipment such as hospital beds and powerchairs, they will even pick it up from your home. The agency is called DME Exchange of Dallas. Their phone number is 214-997-3639.

Can I donate all of this unused formula to another patient who may need it?

Thank you so much for wanting to do that. We are not able to accept the formula at Parkland. However, we can send you a list of agencies that are able to accept it. Please contact the Palliative Care Clinic.

What do I do with all of my loved one’s unused medicines?

You may drop them off at the Parkland Police Department’s Lost and Found office located on the first floor of the WISH building. You can also mix them in with coffee grounds or cat litter and water in a plastic bag then throw away. To keep our water supply clean, do not flush them down the toilet.

Are you able to help me pay for my loved one’s funeral or cremation?

Unfortunately, we do not have a funeral fund available to assist with this. However, there is an agency called aCremation that offers cremation services at a very low price compared to most other places. Their phone number is 877-353-3626 and they are available 24 hours a day. We can also send you a list of funeral homes to call for pricing. I would like to take my loved one’s body back to their home country. Can you help me with this? Contact the country’s consulate to see if they can assist with transporting bodies back. The Mexican Consulate can assist, and their phone number is 214- 932-8670. Their cost is usually around $2900.

How do I get extra copies of the death certificate?

You will need to contact your funeral director or county clerk’s office. The number to the county clerk is 214-653-7099.

How do I access my loved one’s bank account? How do I access my loved one’s estate documents?

Contact a legal agency such as Legal Aid of Northwest Texas. Their number is 214-748-1234.

Can I donate my loved one’s body?

There are two programs that accept body donations. Only legal next-of-kin can donate a body. Those two programs are:
UT Southwestern Willed Body Program: 214-648-2221
UNT Health Science Center: 817-735-2047

My loved one was the one who supported us financially. Is there any way you can help me with my rent (utilities, food, etc.)?

Unfortunately, we do not have a financial assistance fund. However, we can send you a list of community agencies that help with these types of things.

I would like for my family to come from our native country to attend the funeral. How do I do this?

You must obtain a letter from the funeral home that includes all of the funeral details. You will also need a copy of your loved one’s death certificate. You may contact the country’s consulate for more information. The Mexican Consulate number: 214-932-8670.